photo by Diana Rowland

photo by Diana Rowland

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Thursday, Dressage Day One

Thursday morning we had a chance to walk the dressage ring, so dressed in our driving clothes, we all took a spin around the arena. There was a Jumbotron (huge TV screen) in the corner near M, and I wondered if the horses would spook at the screen. After walking through the test, I decided to watch the first few horses go. Pairs went first. There were two warmup rings, one not far from the end of the arena, this ring had the same footing as the main arena. The second, smaller ridden dressage arena, just outside the entrance to the ring, had sand footing. You could also warm up in a grass area near the stables before the other rings if you wished. Three competitors were allowed in the first ring, then the competitor on deck was sent to the second ring, then cued to enter the arena.

I heard the first competitor told to enter the ring a a minute before 9, and just before he came in, the water cannons, large sprinkers along the ring, went off! These are like fire hoses with a lot of force.


What a shock! The first competitor was quickly stopped just outside the arena and everyone rushed around to figure out how to turn the water cannons off. It took a few minutes before the timer was disabled and the water stopped.

How lucky that this did not happen when a competitor was in the ring - truly not pony friendly!

Once that little issue was solved, the show got started without further incident. All team members came down to the ring when one of our drivers were competing. First up was Jennifer Matheson, who drove a very nice test, the best I have seen her do with her pair. She had a good score and was very pleased. Next up for our team was Wendy O'Brien, who also drove very well. I thought she should have had a better score, but know from my judging career that things sometimes look diffrent from that vantage point than outside the arena.



Jennifer - photo by Marie de Ronde


Wendy-photo by Marie de Ronde
I drove Cooper in the morning to see how he was feeling. A few coughs at the start but that was it and he seemed to feel good. I began the long wait until my 5:05 test.
We went to the hotel for lunch and ordered pizza. Slovenian pizza can be different from what we are used to....

Killing time and waiting for lunch



A close up of Jeff's tie (and shirt)

Pizza surprise!
I tried to keep busy and just focus on my test. I braided Cooper - I love to braid, it clears my mind and calms me. I had plenty of help to get ready and Cooper, carriage and harness looked great thanks to everyone's help. Finally it was time to head to the warmup ring so Dottie climbed on board. I was met by Chester and Michael there, and I began my warmup. The carriage was sliding quite a bit in the corners.
Cooper felt good in the warm up, and there was the ever present warm up dilemma, how much to do? Too little and he would not be supple and attentive, too much and he would be tired. I tried for some place in the middle.

Finally our time came to head to the second ring and await our entrance. We were given the nod and headed down the hill and under the arch into the ring.


A unique perspective - photo by Marie de Ronde
Cooper was attentive and cooperative, but energy was lacking and he struggled a bit in the footing. He seemed to be working but I could see on the video afterward that he needed more impulsion. Was I too passive? Or was he still feeling the effects from being sick at the beginning of the week? Or both? I can always learn from each test and try to improve for the next one. In any case, it wasn't an awful test but we weren't on our game and did not show what we can do. Some mistakes in the canter hurt our score as well, but the scores were good, except for one judge who had us 20 points under all the others. It's hard for me to tell why from his comments but it happens and all part of the game of competing.






DRAMA IN THE BIT CHECK:
Chester and Marie met me at the bit check/wheel measurement outside the arena. As the steward checked the bit, she commented that I was to wait for the vet. Vet? Why? Another official explained that the head judge wanted the pony checked for lameness. Just then my scores were announced, a 44.67, putting me in first place for the day. Both Marie and Chester commented that it didn't make sense, the winner being lame. The vet arrived and asked us to jog the pony in hand. We quickly stripped the harness off, and Chester jogged Cooper with his driving bridle and one rein. Cooper looked great and the vet agreed there was no problem. Whew! That was unexpected and unnerving! Marie told me that four other ponies had been examined earlier in the same way and one competitor had been disqualified. I was very happy that Chester and Marie were there when I needed them.

I led Cooper back to the stable, and Chester and a steward followed with the carrige. Our supporters were waiting. They had wondered what happened to us!

A relieved Chester and a steward pulled the carriage back to the stable
Ok, so it wasn't the test I had prepared for and hoped for. But it was over and the score was good, although not as good as I wanted. I knew my teammates expected a better score from me and I was disappointed, but we ended the day in first place, with the second half of our class to go on Friday.

Jeff and Lynn asked me if I wanted a beer and I said DEFINATELY!!

A party in the big tent again that evening, a little more tame this time. Most participants were busy getting ready for dressage or walking hazards. But once again the music went on into the night...

1 comment:

Nancy Taylor Rojo said...

Great post Shelley...I was right there. The photos are great, especially the pizza!