photo by Diana Rowland

photo by Diana Rowland

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Salute to Driving

A well deserved pat on the back to the organizers of the Salute to Driving, a fundraiser for the driving programs of the USET.



Held this past weekend in Windsor, South Carolina, the three days were jam packed with all types of things to see and do. Saturday and Sunday were clinic days, with Michael Freund, the new US driving coach, working with the long listed drivers, and Larry Poulin working with developing drivers. Auditing was free and there was a good turnout of people watching and listening to the lessons. Thanks to a good sound system, all could hear the clinicians work with their students. Also during those days were clinics on cones driving, chosing hazard routes, a fun hazard to explore, and a carriage display. On Monday there was a combined test with training, preliminary and advanced levels doing dressage and cones under the watchful eye of Martha Hanks-Nichol, Michael Freund, and Craig Kellogg. Nancy Tomlinson served as judge for the tough cones course.



During the lunch break, Olympic eventer Phillip Dutton riding Isabella and me driving Cooper did a Pas de Deux to Earth, Wind and Fire's I Like The Way You Move. It was the first time I have done a drive to music and it ended up being a lot of fun. Thanks to Phillip to being a good sport, he seemed to enjoy our enthusiatic audience as much as I did.



Saturday evening was a fundraising party hosted by Wendy O'Brien at her beautiful Trout Walk Farm nearby. There was a raffle and live auction with many wonderful donated items.



This event was the brainchild of Lisa Singer and Bev Lesher, and hard work by many hardworking volunteers and sponsors made it a huge success. I can't wait until next year!



On a personal note, I got a lot out of my lessons during the clinic, Michael took both Cooper and me out of our comfort zone and asked for more, which was reflected in moments in my test as well as moments of miscommunication between pony and driver. It will take some practice on my part to make to make things smoother and more flowing, but I loved watching the video and seeing more expression and elevation from Cooper. He worked hard and willingly all weekend and I am proud of him. He got to have some fun in the Pas de Deux, too.



We are on our way to the Little Everglades CDE as I type (Fran is driving). Wish us luck!



Results for the Salute to Driving and for Little Everglades will be posted on www.drivingnews.us.

No comments: